Tuesday, November 22, 2005

"Nos esta' saludando!"

Everything has been great as of late. My work at Luchadores has really picked up with the arrival of the two new PAs. They're having the hardest time getting accustomed to things in their new job of all the PAs that I've worked with so far. I think it's really a matter of attitude and preparedness. I don't think that they knew what to expect (perfectly normal) but instead of dealing with things, accepting them as they are and working around the system it seems that they spend a lot of time and energy trying to make things fit their way of thought. Too bad really, they'll probably learn the least here of all the PA students that have come.

As far as my job, their arrival has made everything much more interesting. Everyday is a new experience. I now spend a lot of time translating, and today finally translated an entire sex-ed talk to a group of 10-13 year olds. It was great, the kids were very well informed and had answers for most of our questions such as what is AIDS, how to prevent it and how to avoid pregnancy, etc. The PAs brought a banana and a box of condoms which the kids got a real kick out of. I think that we also taught the teachers a thing or too, judging from the initial look of surprise on their faces when they learned that you can use both condoms and other forms of contraception in unison.

Yesterday, I got a kick out of the docs reaction to what I imagine is a fairly common occurence in hospitals and clinics everywhere when the newborn that he had just finished examining started peeing all over everything. The father and I laughed as the doc exclaimed "Mira, nos esta saludando!" or more or less, "Look guys, he's waving!" All good fun, I'm looking forward to work tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home